- Click here for current NAU catalog requirements for MA.
Students in the MA program of Political Science must complete 36 hours of coursework approved by their advisor. The program requires the following:
Course Requirements - 36 hours
PS Core - 6 hours
- POS 600 Approaches to Political Inquiry
- POS 601 Research Methods and Analysis
Primary Field Core - 6 hours
Choose one of the following three fields as your primary field of study and complete all requirements listed for that field.
American Politics/Public Administration:
Two of the following three courses:
- POS 610 American Political Institutions
- POS 612 American Political Processes
- POS 641 Public Administration
Comparative Politics/International Relations:
Two of the following four courses as specified. You must complete at least one of:
- POS 670 Comparative Politics OR
- POS 680 International Relations Theory
You may take both the two courses above to satisfy this component. If you complete only one of them, also complete one of the following two courses:
- POS 676 Area Studies
- POS 683 Topics in International Policy Studies
Two of the following, as specified:
- POS 671 Policy Processes (required for this field)
Plus one of the following courses:
- POS 643 Theories of Organization
- POS 552 Political Economy
Other political economy-related course approved by your advisor.
POS elective courses in areas relating to your field of study - 12-15 hours
Select these courses in consultation with your advisor. (Those who choose the thesis option may apply up to 6 hours of POS 699 Thesis toward this requirement.)
Emphasis or minor - 9-12 hours
Interdisciplinary concentration area approved by your advisor prior to completion of the minor; may include coursework in Economics, History, Sociology, Anthropology, other appropriate disciplines.
A thesis OR MA oral exam